I made this little frame while product testing for Twiddleybitz...
Twiddleybitz Metallic Powders
Recently I was very lucky to get my hands on these very new metallic powders, I couldn’t wait to have a play and discover ways to add that bit of sparkle to my projects! The first thing I did was use the Binding Solution that accompanies the powders and this is by far the easiest and best medium I used. It gives a beautiful finish and is easy to use.
- The binding solution, multi-medium gloss, glossy and crackle accents all had no rub off as the powders were suspended in the medium.
- The Perfect Medium and Versamark ink I brushed the powder on while wet and although I sprayed with water and spray fixative after - disappointingly, there was rub off.
- Modpodge gave an interesting effect - the powder mixed well but I also noticed an interesting starbust effect when just sprinkled on the top of the wet modpodge.
- Inks had no binding or holding power for the power at all.
- Brushing the powders onto double sided tape worked a treat - a lovely concentrated shine.
- One scoop with the paddle pop stick suspended in a half full minimister had almost no effect when sprayed onto the chippy, but painting it one had a better effect - although a small, acceptable amount of rub off when dry.
- Various mixes of stazon re-inker and powder were unsuccessful as the powder sits on the surface and the ink soaks in.
- Mixing the powders with the new xpress-it clear gel and ordinary PVA also were successful - with no rub-off once dry.
Once I was happy with the various ways to mix the powders, I decided to experiment with using them on different surfaces, using different techniques.
- Painting was the most obvious method, perfect for chipboard - a basic mix of 1 paddle pop stick scoop and approximately 6 drops of solution gave the painted finish you see on the lamp post - smooth, and paint like. The swirls around the frame were made by increasing the ratio of powder to solution - 2:1, and blotting it on with the brush.
- The metal butterfly charm was painted with the basic mix and then lightly sanded - there is no rub off or smudging and the gold is so brilliant the bling appears dull in comparison!
- The large cream flower also was painted by the brush - you notice the thicker areas... The lighter area were actually coloured using a sponge on a handle - similar technique to distress inks on the sponge. The mix must be done on your non-stick mat though. 2 cap taps onto the sheet with 9 drops of solution, mixed with the sponge and then applied to the flower - the orange flower also has this technique.
- The Carriage has a different finish to the lamp post - it was also sponged. This was very quick to completely cover. The powder and binding solution mixture is quick drying - another thing I like about it!
- I also used the sponge to apply the mix to the lace you see in the background and to sponge around the edges of the stamped greeting. Again the same sponging technique was used on the “explore” tickets.
- The mixture is also fabulous for using on tumbled glass as you can see from the pendant, AND once dry you can stamp on the surface with permanent ink!
I found the accompanying binding solution was the easiest product to use the powders with. The mixture allows for application to a variety of surfaces and is fast drying. This is a product I would buy and use; if only there were more colours were available!
I hope you have learnt something new as I certainly did!
Thanks for stopping by!