Background

Monday, November 12, 2012

Bedside Brick Lamp

Erin has decided she wants to change her bedroom from pink to blue coloured... so out goes the netting curtain, the pink bed spread, and the pink glitter lava lamp.  All the blue furnishings I can find are predominantly boyish so we're having a bit of trouble.  When she burnt herself on the lava lamp the other night It gave me the swift kick I needed to make her a girly lamp for her room.

I bought a hollow glass brick from Bunnings for $5 (like the ones you used to see in the Dr Surgeries as   a kid) and I painted around the edges in Sailboat Blue Alcohol ink, then when dry I adhered white lace around the edges over the blue.  I then stamped the butterfly and the verse in Midnight Blue Stazon Ink.  Adding the beautiful Flourishes was next... then adding a heap of the gorgeous Manorhouse Creations flowers!!
I jazzed up some of the flowers, and the butterfly wings with iridescent medium and added a little butterfly charm to one of the flowers too.
I have recently discover IKEA (I know slow on the uptake but OMG!) and they have LED strip lighting! I bought this one for $20 and one panel is just too long... I cannot cut it down so already have an alternate use for it...  I am contemplating drilling a hole in the corner of the brick and putting fairy lights inside instead!

I'm really pleased with how this turned out - and the best part is that Erin had no idea!! When I showed her and then told her it was for her room - she nearly cried! She loves it so much :-)

Ingredients:
Glass brick - Bunnings
Ranger Alcohol Ink - Sailboat Blue
Green Tara - very wide white lace
Stazon Ink - Midnight Blue
Miscellaneous Stamp - All things
Bevy of Butterflies Stamp - UK413A by Lisa Hetrick
Flourish With A Bling - Chloe Pearls - Baby Blue
Flourish With A Bling - Chloe Pearls -Blue
Manorhouse Creations - Country Lane raindrop
Manorhouse Creations - Fairy Floss, soft blue
Manorhouse Creations - Silver Capri
Manorhouse Creations - Royalty Duchess Mix (blue with ribbon)
Windsor and Newton Iridescent Medium
My2angels - silver butterfly charm
IKEA - LED strip light.

Thanks for visiting!
Jen
:-)

4 comments:

  1. Such an awesome idea Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS STUNNING! GLAD SHE LOVED IT, ITS SUCH A COOL FEELING WHEN SOMEONE LIKES/LOVES WHAT YOU MAKE FOR THEM...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous Jen, you always have such creative and fun ideas, Love it! I bet Erins room looks gorgeous with her new lamp :-)and thanks so much for using Flourish with a Bling on it too! XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tracy, Midnightscrapper! It is a great feeling when a recipient likes/loves what you've made! Maggie - it wouldn't have looked right if there wasn't FWAB on it!! Thanks again for all your comments :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - it's nice to be appreciated and it's great Karma!